Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Online Motivation - Lose It

If you are needing a little extra help with your goals, there are a number of online motivational tools/applications  that can help.  Over the next couple of weeks, I will share  my experiences with three of the online motivational tools.  The following three (with hyperlinks) will be the focus of the blogs:   Lose ItRun Keeper and StickK.

The tool I have used the longest and the tool that I enter data in everyday is Lose It.  Lose It is an application for computer and phone that allows you to set a goal weight and a time period to reach the goal.  Once the goal and time period is set, the application will set a limit of calories that can be consumed per day that will enable you to meet this goal. You enter the amount of food you eat and the amount of exercise you complete throughout the day.

As most of us know, weight loss is generally a simple math problem.  Burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.  The Lose It application allows you to see vividly how many calories you are consuming and how many calories you are burning through exercise.  What I personally found was the large number of calories I was consuming through snacking.  By simply keeping a closer eye on snacking and becoming more dedicated with my exercise I have been able to lose nearly 20 pounds since Thanksgiving.
Sample Daily Log - Click to Enlarge

Lose It as a very good application.  The positives are:  it is free, can be used on phone or computer, has a fair number of preloaded food items,  great variety of reports,  allows you to create your own foods and it allows for a good number of exercises you can enter that will deduct from your daily calorie intake.

The concerns are:  the food choices are limited and I often find myself having to search other sites in order to input my meals and I feel the exercise counter may be a little too liberal in awarding calories burned while exercising.  I also find it very tedious inputting all of my meals and snacks every day (as a matter of fact, I am taking off a week from entering to see what happens to my weight during this time).

As you can see the concerns are minimal and the results are good.  I highly recommend this as an application for those trying to get his or her calorie consumption under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment