Sunday, January 6, 2013

Intercom Tunes

Playing music over the intercom is a simple method to increase staff morale.  Below are three simple ways to use music to lift up staff's spirits:

1.  Friday at 4:00 Tunes.  For years we would play a song with a "weekend" theme at the end of day on Friday.  Almost any song by Jimmy Buffet, "Switchin' to Glide", "Everybody's working for the weekend" and many more.  The following site has other ideas:  Weekend song ideas. A simple tradition such as Friday at 4:00 Tunes allows staff to begin to relax and to celebrate the coming of the weekend.  Consider letting a staff member select the song and have the other staff members attempt to guess the song title and which staff member made the selection.

2.   Class Change Tunes. A simple twist to having music during class changes is to allow staff members select one of his or her favorite songs.  We added a contest to this by having the other staff email the title of the song along with who he or she believed selected the song.  We would give our a simple prize to who was the first to answered both correctly.

3.  Team Fight Song.  Playing your school's team fight song during class change is a great way to increase morale on game day.

Music is one of the most effective ways to increase morale.  If you have methods to use music to increase morale please email ideas to csworth@windstream.net and I will share.  I will end this blog with The Kings and "Switchin' to Glide"(Nothing matters but the weekend from a Tuesday point of view)


1 comment:

  1. I carpool twice a week, but on the days I drive myself I listen to an upbeat playlist of favorite songs. I am definitely ready to go when I hit my desk on those mornings. Perhaps play firing-up type songs during homeroom time so everyone is alert come 1st period?

    On bad days, I fire up Pretty Hate Machine and scream along during the 45-minute struggle against freeway traffic. It makes me a normal person by the time I pull into the garage. Fridays at 4:00 sounds like a great idea, but I think you might want to add some impromptu tunes on other days as a nice surprise - a good pick me up on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete